Edgell Memorial Library/Framingham History Center
Dedicated in 1873 to Civil War soldiers, this Victorian Gothic-style building, anchor of the Framingham Common, houses the Framingham History Center, which displays numerous artifacts and memorabilia illustrating Framingham citizens’ deep and influential involvement both in the abolition movement and the Civil War.
3 Oak Street, Framingham, MA 01701
One of the major national suppliers of sky-blue Kersey, the heavy wool fabric for the Union Army. In 1865, 80o workers here, using Sudbury River dam power, produced 1.5 million yards of blanket material, army cloth, and wool yarn.
Corner of Concord and Central Streets
Framingham, MA 01701
General Gordon House
General George H. Gordon organized the 2nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry regiment, which became the model for the Union Army, and trained Robert Gould Shaw, who raised and led the first regiment of African American troops, the famous ‘Massachusetts 54th’.
936 Central Street, Framingham, MA 01701
Charles Russell Train House
This wartime Massachusetts Congressman received a commission from President Lincoln to join George Gordon’s Framingham Regiment as a captain.
125 Edgell Road, Framingham, MA 01701
The Framingham Anti-Slavery Society was founded here in 1837 and the church was the site of the first public singing of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, in 1862 (on George Washington’s 130th birthday). Julia Ward Howe, who wrote the lyrics, had family ties to Framingham and spoke at anti-slavery meetings in town.
87 Edgell Road, Framingham, MA 01701
The John Brown Bell
Taken in 1862 from Harper’s Harper’s Ferry, Virginia—site of John Brown’s 1859 raid—by a Union Army unit from Marlborough. The city has refused to return (or sell) the bell to Harper’s Ferry.
Corner of Main and Bolton Streets, Marlborough, MA
Henry Wilson’s Cobbler Shop
Henry Wilson, a fervent abolitionist who began life as a shoemaker, served as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Military Affairs throughout the Civil War and as Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant
Corner of West Central (Route 135) and Mill Streets
Natick, MA 01760
Natick Historical Society Museum
The collection includes memorabilia of distinguished Natick citizens involved in the Civil War, including Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” and her fellow abolitionist Henry Wilson, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Military Affairs throughout the War and Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant.
58 Eliot Street, Natick, MA 01760