Compiled November 2013
Thanks to the many people throughout our region who contributed to this compilation
- Walter Lenkits—WWII: Hartford Avenue and Plymouth Road
- Herbert B. Arnold—WWI: Hartford Avenue and Maple Street
- Edward Baldgia—WWII: Hartford Avenue and North Main Street
- Edward L. Spencer—WWI: Bellingham Center across from police station
- Albert Prefontaine—WWII: South Main and Elm Streets
- Alice Beausoliel—First President of the American Legion: Route 126 and Pulaski Boulevard
- Thomas Berardi—Korea: Hartford Avenue and Monique Drive
- Harold Trudel—WWII: Route 126 and Bellingham Street
- Charles W. Turner Memorial Bridge, honoring Medor of Honor recipient Charles W. Turner, Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army, 2d Reconnaissance Company, Korea
- Veterans Memorial Bridge: Wrentham over Peters River
- General Alexander Scammell Memorial—Revolutionary War: Scammell Cemetery, Depot Street
- Civil War Memorial: Town Common
- WWI Memorial: front of Town Hall
- John Peterson Memorial—Vietnam: front of Town Hall
- Veterans Memorial: Blackstone Street, front of middle school
- Marcel Creapeau: WWII and Korea: Douglas and Pond Streets
- Memorial: WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Panama, Afganistan, Iraq: Town Common
- Edgell Memorial Library: The Framingham History Center is the steward of the Edgell Memorial Library —a beautiful Civil War memorial built in 1872—at 3 Oak Street on the south side of the Framingham Town Common. In front stands the statue of a Civil War soldier sculpted by Martin Milmore. The Mass Historical Commission has invested nearly $100,000 in this building’s restoration.
- World War II Peace Memorial, next to the federal courthouse on Concord Street, in between Guadalcanal and Oran Roads.
- The Hopkinton Library: 13 Main Street. The library was built as a war memorial, and the names of soldiers who gave their life in that war are listed on the front of the library. In the 1890s, the people of Hopkinton began to discuss the idea of building a war memorial. Because the town also needed a library, the two concepts were combined and the building was completed in 1895.
- Hopkinton Common (Route 135 and Ash Streets): statue of a World War I doughboy was erected during World War II.
- “Hiker-Volunteer” Monument, Bates Avenue, honoring those who served in the Spanish-American war, was completed in 1902. It is opposite the Grand Army of the Republic Monument.
- Marlborough City Hall, Main Street—includes monuments to World War II and the Korean Conflict.
- Women’s Veteran Memorial, located on Maple at Brigham Street
- Civil War Memorial Monument Square, at the intersection of Main and West Main Street.
- Lyons Square: At the intersection of Elm, Hudson, and Mechanics Street, this was dedicated in 1919 to the memory of Sgt. Dennis Lyons.
- Howe Square: At the intersection of Howe and Union Streets, this was dedicated to Private Allen Howe.
- Plaque honoring Lawrence Leigh: at the intersection of Main and West Streets, this plaque (on large rock) honors Vietnam veteran Cpl. Lawrence Leigh, Jr.
- Soldiers Monument: just off Main Street in Evergreen Cemetery. Soldiers Monument, Medway’s only military memorial statue, was dedicated by James H. Sargent Post, Grand Army of the Republic
- Medway Civil War Memorial: located across from the Medway Police Station at the intersection of Cottage and Village
- Matondi Square: at the intersection of Village and Holliston Street. Matondi Square (formerly Monument Square but renamed to honor Col. Michael Matondi, veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam) has war memorials from every war and conflict from the Revolutionary War through Desert Storm. In addition to the afore-mentioned wars, WWI, the War of 1812, the Spanish American War and the war on terrorism are also acknowledged on monuments in Matondi Square.
- John Mill Recreational Field: Holliston Street. Medway VFW Post 1526 has a recreational field dedicated to WWII Lt. Commander John Mill.
- John F. Connolly Square: across from St. Joseph’s Church on Village Street. This is the result of post-WWI efforts between the Medway VFW and American Legion to recognize Medway veterans.
- Civil War Monument on the north side of Natick Common, East Central Street and Main Street. Includes large plinth surrounded by cannons.
- Praying Indian Monument on Pond Street near Natick Common – Inscribed stone monument listing names of Praying Indian combatants in the American Revolution.
- Morse Institute Library Roll of Honor, 14 East Central Street. -Monumental listing of over 1,000 Natick veterans from WWI through Vietnam.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial at the Natick Center railway station, 1 Walnut Street. Includes monument to those lost in the conflict.
- Revolutionary War marker. Inscribed marker at the intersection of Rt. 27 and Old Connecticut Path. Monument shows the path along which General Knox’s troops pulled captured canons from Ticonderoga to Dorchester Heights. Some of oxen used were expropriated from the Natick plantation of Captain Thomas Farris, which still stands on Walnut Street